Large MySQL Database Backup, Restoration, & Offsite Storage at DropBox

On Monday, my website host’s (DreamHost) database server crashed and they restored the previous week’s data for all of the databases hosted on that server. Eventually, they were able to restore the daily backups to disk, which allowed users to restore that day’s backup. However, when I went to restore the daily backup, it was about 16 hours old.

Within those 16 hours, one forum had hundreds of posts, topics, and forum reorganization; another WordPress blog had two dozen of posts; while my personal blog (this site) had no changes. At the time, my backup scheduled was:
Continue reading

Homebrew Batches 28-39 & Competitions

Here’s an update on my brews since late last year. I was able to submit many of them to a few different homebrew competitions. While, I didn’t score as well as I hoped, I did learn a lot and will continue to improve (I hope). The competitions entered were: Green Mountain Mashers Conehead Clone Challenge, Green Mountain Masters Gose Style Challenge, American Homebrewers Association (Regional) National Homebrew Competition, and Green Mountain Mashers Greg Noonan Memorial Homebrew Contest.

Continue reading

Homebrew Batches 25-36

I’ve been slacking off way too much. One of my new 2015 goals is to post at least once a month to my personal blog. I’ve spent most of my free time researching and writing about Vermont beer instead of personal entries. Here’s an update at what I’ve been brewing since my last entry. As you can read, if you’ve read any of my homebrew entries, it’s mostly about how I screwed up my homebrews. I learned that I need to use more restraint with ingredients (such as spices), which is hard for me to do, especially when brewing Belgian styles.

Continue reading

Homebrewing, Small Batch Numbers 22, 23, 24

I’ve been seriously slacking off on my personal blog posts and I’m hoping to get back into posting a few entries a month. Here’s an update on my recent homebrew batches. I’ve purchased a 3 gallon glass carboy, so I’ve increased my batch size from 1 gallon to about 2 to 2.5. My current kettles max out around 3 gallons, so I’m limited to the batch size based on the amount of grains used in my mash. I’m looking to upgrade my mash and boil kettles later this year (and possibly the rest of my tools), so I can more easily handle a full 3 gallon batch. Hopefully, I’ll buy some small kegs and start kegging my beer, too.
Continue reading