The Beer Ratings plugin allows you to display information about beers, brewers, and places to drink. This plugin uses the RateBeer API to retrieve data and you must register for a RateBeer API Key at http://www.RateBeer.com/api/.
You can retrieve beers by brewers, best beers by style, beers available at a specific place, brewer information, place information, and beer information. You can also retrieve beer reviews, rankings, and scores.
Getting a RateBeer API Key
This step in the setup process may take a few days or weeks. Here’s a few tips to help:
- Be polite in your request! JoeT (owner of RateBeer.com) has a lot of tasks and projects going on in addition to managing the RateBeer.com web site. Allow him a few days (or week) to respond to your request.
- Be concise in your request. You don’t need to tell JoeT everything you plan to do, but a one-sentence description of your website/project (with URLs) may help pique his interest and spur the API key creation.
- Have an active RateBeer.com account in good standing. This means that you should have rated a few beers with good commentary and descriptions.
For reference, it took 3 days for RateBeer staff to reply with a API key for myself. Here’s a template of the request email I sent to them:
Subject: RateBeer JSON API Request
I’d like to request a API developer’s key.
First, add a very short (2-4 sentences) paragraph speaking about what you’re going to do with the data.
Next, mention the web site URLs for your blog/project.
Finally, remember to be polite and thank JoeT and RateBeer for offering you a API Key. Remember, getting an API key is a gift from RateBeer.com and they are going out of their way to help you with your project/blog.
What if I haven’t heard back in several days?
You can join the RateBeer.com API Google Group and speak with other developers and RateBeer.com staff. Please follow any guidance posted by RateBeer.com on their API page.
Download the plugin via the WordPress Plugin Gallery at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/beer-ratings.
Post comments, bugs, and requests via the WordPress Plugin Forum at http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/beer-ratings/.
Best Beer By Style (IPA, limit=5)
[beerratings-bestbeer-style id='17' limit='5' show_retired='false']
For more live examples, please visit my beer blog at http://www.vtbeer.org.
Short on funds?
- Rate Beer Ratings Plugin 5★’s on WordPress.org
- Talk about it on your site and link back to the project page.
- Tweet about it.
If you need help or have found a bug please visit the support forums.